Our skin is the largest organ we have and many times is overlooked and not thought of as being so important. The skin protects organs, warms and cools us down, keeps harmful things out and reflects how healthy we are. The following is a list of quick tips dermatologists’ recommend for the care of our skin.
- Skin care products are not subject to approval by the FDA so their benefits may not be tested adequately and their clams can be exaggerated. Try doing your homework and learning about ingredients and what they can do for you.
- Wear sunscreen every day and reapply every couple of hours.
- Use products with antioxidants because they have sun-protection properties.
- At night try using products that contain retinoids, peptides or growth factors to help repair the skin.
- If something does not look right or is bleeding see a dermatologist.
- Skin self-exams should be done regularly. Try picking a holiday or a specific day to do self exams. This can help remind you to do the exam.
American Academy of Dermatology – www.aad.org